How to Pay for In-home Care

As an adult child. it’s no fun to lie awake at night worrying about your parent’s safety and the care they are able to provide themselves. Unfortunately, for those with aging parents, that’s often the case. As time progresses and you know they aren’t fully able to take care of themselves anymore, options like assisted living or a nursing home come to mind. As you may already know, many seniors object to these types of facilities because they want to age in place. If this is the case for your loved one, don’t fret! In-home care agencies are an option you may want to consider. There are many facets of in-home care including, medical care, personal care, and companion care. Just as there are several types of care, there are several ways to plan and pay for this care, too.

Health Insurance

In general, health insurance does not pay for in-home care. Most elderly people have Medicare and possibly some gap insurance. Gap insurance is an additional policy that fills in the gaps to pay what Medicare doesn’t pay. When deemed medically necessary, Medicare will usually approve some charges for a home healthcare service after release from a hospital or facility.

Long-term Care Insurance

Long-term care insurance is sometimes offered through your place of employment, or you can purchase an independent policy through your local insurance office. It is a policy that will pay for care in a nursing facility, assisted living facility and care provided in the home. Long-term care policies have been known to reimburse a family member for time spent on caregiving as well. This depends on the coverage limits and can be very helpful to secure care so you can live independently in your own home. The long-term care policy is one of the most useful assets you can use to plan for your care and sadly, one of the most underutilized, too.


Medicare covers what is medically necessary, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and nursing visits. Also, for a limited time, Medicare will cover a home health aide that comes and assists with bathing. Only Medicare-certified companies will receive payment for in-home care. Up to 65% of services are paid by Medicare/Medicaid, according to Senior Living. You may be eligible more Medicare benefits if you are under the care of a doctor. Your doctor certifies that you need skilled nursing care, physical and/or occupational therapy or speech-language pathology. Medicare certification is necessary for the home health agency. Your doctor must also certify that you are homebound, meaning your condition keeps you from leaving home without help.

Personal or Community Resources

A financial planner can help with options to use your personal resources as funding for in-home care. There are several options available depending on your personal financial situation. Additionally, there are several resources available in the community. Churches will often have assistance programs to provide financial aid, as well. Perhaps, if the church is unable to help directly, they may have a list of available resources. If you are a Veteran, please look into your local Veteran services programs for more information.

If you feel like your loved one needs to consider in-home care, it’s important to get an in-home assessment to during if that is the appropriate solution.  At Shepherd’s Staff In-home Care, we will offer a free in-home assessment and discuss options for payment. We can also offer referrals to professionals that may be able to provide alternative options as well. Give us a call to learn more – 301-304-9143.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *