A Rewarding Career as a Caregiver
If you want to make a difference in the lives of the elderly, consider becoming a caregiver with Shepherd’s Staff In-home Care. We hire professional caregivers with high standards who want to grow with our company.
- The Caregiver is responsible for the care of specifically assigned clients.
- The Caregiver will learn and implement the five core values of SSIC.
- The Caregiver will deliver the highest standard of care to each and every client.
- The Caregiver will communicate all schedule changes, concerns, and any other pertinent care related issues to the supervisor.
- The Caregiver will document every visit, using the system set forth by SSIC management.
- The Caregiver will carry out the Plan of Care for each client. If a question regarding duties should arise, the Caregiver will contact a supervisor. Care may include:
- Warm companionship
- Meal planning and preparation
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Assistance with bathing, grooming, bathroom safety and incontinence care
- Errands, shopping, and incidental transportation
- Medication reminders
- The Caregiver will accurately use the SSIC timekeeping system.
- Click here to complete an online application
We offer a friendly work environment, caregiver training, and the opportunity to control your own hours. Shifts may range from two hours to 12 hours. Weekend shifts and overnight shifts are available. Supplemental insurance and retirement benefits are offered to qualified employees.
We hire caregivers who are respectful, compassionate, responsible, honest, and professional. You must be able to help with meals, keep the client’s living area clean, do laundry and other household chores, and provide transportation in your car or the client’s vehicle. You must have a reliable car, adequate insurance, and a good driving record. In addition, we may perform a criminal background check and a drug test.
You should have some experience caring for an older person. Certification is not necessary — we provide training. We also welcome CNAs who can assist clients with transfers and personal care and CMTs to help with medication management.
For more information, call: 301-304-9147. Leave a message that includes your phone number and email if you have questions.
Our Hiring Process
We will invite qualified applicants to come in for an interview. We will ask you to provide four to six qualified references — that is, former employers, coworkers, and friends who can attest to your character, work ethic, and ability to perform the necessary tasks. Please bring documentation showing you are eligible to work in the United States, such as a birth certificate, driver’s license, and social security card, or “green card.” We also will ask you to sign an authorization for a criminal background check.
Successful candidates will be invited to attend orientation and training, which takes 10 hours over two days. You should obtain your driving record from the MVA and have a TB test done prior to the training day. Drug screening may be performed during the orientation.
The Next Step
After the initial orientation, we may assign you to clients, but you must complete additional training (our Certified Companion Aide® program) within three months of hire. Successful completion of this program leads to a wage increase.
We may offer you fill-in assignments until a regular client becomes available. You also may choose to work on a “PRN” basis rather than on a regular schedule. Caregivers have the ability to specify days and times they are available.
If you assist a client with toileting, dressing, grooming, or bathing, our staff nurse will provide hands-on training and an evaluation of your skills.
We are committed to providing clients with the very best professional caregivers. Therefore, we offer our caregivers the ability to complete online independent study courses that lead to advanced certification in specific areas of elder care. Remuneration is offered for successful completion of the online certification programs.