Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Have you figured out what exactly you’re going to do to celebrate Mom? No matter if she’s near or far, aging in place, or living in a facility, we have some great ideas for you!
Celebrating Mother’s Day Near
If your mom is near, there are several atypical ways that you can celebrate mom. Of course, you have options like taking her out to lunch or bringing lunch to her at the facility she resides, but we have some other ways to celebrate her that are sure to bring a smile to her face.
- Chalk it up! Grab your grandchildren, big and small, and take them out into the parking lot of the facility your mom is living in. Have them draw “happy mother’s day” along with some beautiful flowers and animals on the parking lot pavement.
- Bring her a favorite family recipe. Did mom have a certain cookie that the family loved that she would bake? Grab her recipe and make it so everyone can enjoy it together. You could even bake some cookies and decorate them together.
- Print a custom puzzle. Have a photo of the family printed as a puzzle at a local Wal-Mart or Staples and gift it to her. Then, you can put it together as a family. Puzzles are always a great way to improve motor skills and we’re sure she’ll love the final product!
Celebrating Mother’s Day From Afar
If your mom is not in the same geographic area as you, don’t worry. With technology, there are a lot of ways that you can celebrate her! Here are just a few that you may have not heard of before.
- Send a box of sunshine. If you and your children or grandchildren like to be creative, create a box filled with nothing but yellow or golden items. You can send candies, candles, lotions, a puzzle of a sun, or some lemon tea with yellow napkins and a yellow cup. Whatever it is that she would like and is yellow can go in this box full of sunshine.
- Send a cake. No, you don’t have to bake a cake and hope it gets there in one piece. There is actually a company called Send A Cake that will send your mom a cake and you can select ones that have flowers around it and mechanical butterflies that fly out when she opens it. Their cakes are really fun!
- Send a custom basket. In Frederick, we have a great company called Frederick Basket Company where you can have a custom basket made based on your mom’s likes or you can purchase a pre-made basket and have it sent. Whichever you choose, they can deliver it to wherever you want.
- Have a caregiver surprise her. Does mom have a regular caregiver? Call the in-home care agency you hired and arrange a video call with the caregiver as a surprise. During their shift, they can use their phone to do a video call with mom so she can see your face while she talks to you. This is always an easy yet impactful way to celebrate her.